Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Significant Other (Or Lack Thereof)

Feeling slightly down today. Mostly, it was due to the lack of a significant other in my life. This is a sadness I deal with on a semi-regular basis.
Yet, I know this isn't the only meaningful connection life has to offer. Friends and Family. Strangers. Co-workers. The earth. Those are important too. Maybe more.
I don't know why a relationship isn't in the cards for me. I know I still have work to do on myself. I know I am not fully the person I want to be.
It's times like these that Kindness Research is so important. Instead of sinking into my darkness, I improve my situation by helping others.
First, it helps me realize that I'm not bad off.
Second, arguably more important, is that it helps me form connections outside of myself. This act of connection helps me to re-establish the fact that I am not alone. And that I don't have to be lonely. Like that elderly woman from yesterday. Very brief, but connection.
A connection that brightened my whole day.
In the world of text messages, Facebook and Twitter, we might feel more connected, but we're not. Actual, tangible, REAL connections are getting fewer and fewer.
Our entire society is developing a case of ADD. People can't even turn off their cell phones when sleeping or at a show. They text instead of talking-- in the same room! It's a disease that is tearing us apart and not bringing us together.
I know. I was one of those people.
Those tangible connections are what I'm chasing now. And I've been finding them in the most amazing places.

Acts of Kindness
52. Held the door for someone at EJ
53. Complimenting Carlos Andres Gomez
54. Saying goodbye to Shady
55. Holding the door for someone else
56. Letting someone into traffic
57. Taking Jeff to work and Nilla home
58. Offering UUCA to sponsor clean-up day
59. Starting to organize clean-up day
60. Encouraging Ana
61. Cleaning the squirrel's butt

Acts of Kindness Done for Me
Memaw giving me money and food

No comments:

Post a Comment